[Wild Bunch Radio] TONIGHT - The Amateur Hour - 11pm EST - 8pm PST :-)
j_gatarz at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 25 22:33:14 UTC 2009
It's that time again, time for me to hit the reply to Zoe's announcement, change the subject line to have the name and times for my show, and tell you how great tonight's show will be.
Tonight we start with the hour long pre-show, in which we will have week 3 of 4 of a musical tribute to the band Argent. Tonight will feature an hour of live concert footage from their 3 live albums. I won't have time to give a breakdown of the tracks, so here they are:
1. Cast Your Spell Uranus - a great energenic live performance of a song from their 2nd album from an early BBC session from May of 1971. This is one of my favorite songs from their 2nd album, and this is a great live performance
2. Liar - A great song by Russ that was later covered by Three Dog Night, and gave them a hit. This performance is a bit more rockin' then the original version off their first album. I think I like this version better. From another BBC session from April of 1972
3. Where Are We Going Wrong - another great rocker from their second album, Ring of Hands. This performance from a BBC session from August of 1970
The next few cuts are taken from a recorded concert at the Paris Theatre in London on December 14, 1972.
4. Be My Lover, Be My Friend - A great cut off of their third album All Together Now.
5. The Fakir - This song was only ever performed live, never recorded for an album. This is basically a chance for Rod to show off his keyboard improvisational skills, and also for Bob to show off his skillz with a long drum solo.
6. Hold Your Head Up - Here's their big hit, as they played it live in concert during the time it was a big hit. They really rock with it live, much more then the studio recording.
The last few cuts in this virtual concert are from their official live album Encore, which was recored in 1974 while touring for their 5th album Nexus. At this point, Argent had added some synths and mellotron to his setup in addition to his organ.
7. I Am The Dance Of Ages - A slower cut from their 3rd album All Together Now. It's interesting to hear how this song evolved in their live performance of it. The adding of synth sounds, mellotron, and a harmonizing vocal part on the refrains really makes this song much more enjoyable from the original album version.
8. I Don't Believe In Miracles - A song written by Russ that was never recorded by Argent in the studio. Instead, Russ gave that to former Zombies member Colin Blunstone, as he felt the song wasn't right for Argent, yet they did perform it live as documented in this performance. Russ heading in different directions from the direction Rod was taking the band in resulted in Russ departing from Argent shortly after this.
9. Music from the Spheres - A great song from their 5th album Nexus.
This virtual concert that spans over a course of 4 years really shows the way the sound of Argent evolved. As mentioned above, Russ would soon leave the band after the 5th album Nexus, which is why they released the live album at the time they did, to buy them time while they recruited not 1, but 2 guitarists to take Russ's spot. This would result in 2 further Argent albums. But that is a discussion for next week and part 4 of this musical tribute to Argent.
And then, following the pre-show, will be another fun filled edition of The Amateur Hour, where we will be discussing last week's trip to Reno, and will also have a lengthy dollar bin specials discussion, unless something more interesting comes up that derails that.
Join the ship wreck. Tonight 11pm EST, 8pm PST on Wild Bunch Radio.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Wildbunch